Fssai Registration Process

FSSAI is the food administrative power of India and it essentially represents the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. It is 14-digit License number to food business operators who are in compliance of the rules and regulations under the FSS act. The Food authority manages and checks for safe food assembling, Storage and handling practices of Food Business Operators. that works under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and functions as per the FSSAI Act, 2006.

There are 3 types of FSSAI licences, That are

  • Basic registration – Any small business whose annual turnover is less than ₹12 lakhs may get a basic FSSAI registration
  • State license- In case you have a more extensive operation and are working on a national level, and your revenue exceeds ₹20 crores annually, you may procure an FSSAI central license
  • Central license- If you operate within a state and your turnover ranges between ₹12 lakhs to ₹20 crores, then you may procure an FSSAI state license.

FSSAI Registration Eligibility

Ordinarily as a Food Business Owner it is hard to figure out what permit to go for State or Central. Here, we list down the qualification standards so you can look into your kind of business and quickly continue to obtain your food permit.

  • Any FBO with an annual turnover of not more than Rs. 12 lakh.
  • Petty retailer dealing in food products.
  • Any person who manufactures or sells any food article by himself.
  • Food sale is done by the temporary stall holder.
  • Any individual who distributes food in any religious or social gathering except a caterer.
  • Small-scale or cottage industries dealing in the food business and the following.

FSSAI license Eligibility

FSSAI License can be grouped into two categories for example State FSSAI License and Central FSSAI License dependent on the size of the business whether it is a medium scale or large scale business.

who are large manufacture, shippers, exporters managing in huge scope food organizations need to acquire FSSAI registration from the central government and FBO with little to medium-sized manufacturing units,  transporters, marketers, traders. it need to take FSSAI registration from the state government. To apply for State License the FBO should have a turnover between Rs 12 lakh to Rs 20 crore.

The following FBOs can apply for a state FSSAI license

  • Restaurants and Hotels
  • Meat processing Units and Slaughtering Units
  • Proprietary Foods
  • Food Processing Units inclusive of corresponding retailers and repackers
  • Vegetable Oil Processing Units as well as Production Units
  • Dairy Units inclusive of Milk Chilling units

To apply for a central license the FBO should have a turnover exceeding Rs. 20 crores and requirements to have tasks in at least two states. All shippers and exporters need to apply for this permit. The minimum time period is 1 year and maximum is 5 years.

  • 5 Star Hotels and above
  • All Food Businesses inclusive of retailers, distributors, suppliers, and caterers mentioned for state license could apply for a central license if their operations are at a larger scale. (20 crores or more)
  • Restaurants/ Food processing and handling chains with multiple branches across various states have to obtain the Central FSSAI license for the main branch/head office
  • 100 % export-oriented food processing/production units
  • Food processing units, re-labelers, and repackers who are processing more than 2 Metric Tones per day excluding grains, cereals, and pulse milling units
  • Refrigerated storages holding a capacity of 10,000 Metric Tones or more
  • Wholesalers with their annual turnovers amounting to Rs. 30 Crores or more
  • Food Catering services located at airports as well as seaports

Document for basic license:- (Also required for central and state)

  • Photo identity proof of the food business operators.
  • Food safety management system plan.
  • List of food products manufactured or processed.
  • Bank account information.
  • Business constitution certificate, i.e. partnership deed, certificate of incorporation, shop and establishment license or other business registration certificate.
  • Form A signed by all directors/partners/proprietor/ Executive member.

For state and central license:-

  • Form B duly completed and signed
  • Plan of the processing unit showing the dimensions and operation-wise area allocation
  • List of Directors/ Partners/ Proprietor with address, contact details, and photo ID
  • Name and list of equipment and machinery used with the number and installed capacity
  • Authority letter from manufacturer nominated a responsible person name and address
  • Source of raw material for milk, meat etc
  • Analysis report of water to be used in the process to confirm the portability